This is the beginning of a new series of beginning chapter books aimed at kids who enjoy Ivy & Bean or Judy Moody. I read it eagerly, but it didn't resonate with me as much as those other series did. For one thing, it felt too old and too mature -- I wonder if it can hold the interest of a young reader, yet everything about the book screams "beginning chapter!!!" so that kids who are reading "real" chapter books likely wouldn't pick it up. Still, there is a lot to like. Sadie is devastated when her two best friends go on vacation together. Moping and sure this will be the worst week of her life, Sadie is surprised and distracted by smoke emerging from the chimney of her playhouse. She discovers a witch inside. An older, kindly, somewhat befuddled one whose spells don't always work, and who is in search of her best friend Ethel, who has turned into a bird. More than anything, she seems to "get" Sadie and her sorrows. Her good cheer and mission -- to find Ethel -- soon have Sadie forgetting her friends and learning all she can about the wonderful world of birds. I enjoyed the book but didn't love it. I don't know that a 9 year-old would, either. Most reviewers loved it, though, so I hope I'm wrong. The world needs more high-interest, high-quality beginning chapter books.
Sunday, November 29, 2015
Book Review ~ Backyard Witch: Sadie's Story
This is the beginning of a new series of beginning chapter books aimed at kids who enjoy Ivy & Bean or Judy Moody. I read it eagerly, but it didn't resonate with me as much as those other series did. For one thing, it felt too old and too mature -- I wonder if it can hold the interest of a young reader, yet everything about the book screams "beginning chapter!!!" so that kids who are reading "real" chapter books likely wouldn't pick it up. Still, there is a lot to like. Sadie is devastated when her two best friends go on vacation together. Moping and sure this will be the worst week of her life, Sadie is surprised and distracted by smoke emerging from the chimney of her playhouse. She discovers a witch inside. An older, kindly, somewhat befuddled one whose spells don't always work, and who is in search of her best friend Ethel, who has turned into a bird. More than anything, she seems to "get" Sadie and her sorrows. Her good cheer and mission -- to find Ethel -- soon have Sadie forgetting her friends and learning all she can about the wonderful world of birds. I enjoyed the book but didn't love it. I don't know that a 9 year-old would, either. Most reviewers loved it, though, so I hope I'm wrong. The world needs more high-interest, high-quality beginning chapter books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment